The world is full of idiots, and someone needs to point it out to them or they will never know.

Monday, April 8, 2013

You Bought a Jeep? Who Cares?

Dear reader, there's been a series of ads on TV lately that I'm sick to death of. They're for Jeep, and it is a possible contender for both most annoying and most pointless ad ever. Behold:



Now, just in case the video doesn't play for you, here's a transcript:
MAN: So what did you end up getting?
WOMAN: I bought a Jeep.
MAN: (Unable to believe that his partner has spent $25 000 without consulting him) You bought a Jeep?
WOMAN: Mmm hmm. I bought a Jeep.
MAN: (Panicking, as they are now in serious debt) You bought a...?
WOMAN: Yes Michael, I bought a Jeep.
(Cut to a bunch of shots of a Jeep driving around, accompanied by The Potbelleez's "Don't Hold Back")

 
"Why would you do that to me?"

And that's it. I hesitate to use the phrase "worst ad ever", but I'm mighty tempted. Something tells me if this was a real couple, the next few lines of the conversation would be:
WOMAN: Yes Michael, I bought a Jeep.
MAN: What the hell did you do that for? We can barely afford rent as it is, and then you go and spend an exorbitant amount of money on something that has hideous fuel economy and we're never going to take off road. And WHY didn't you at least phone me first?
WOMAN: I bought a Jeep!
MAN: God damn, the doctors warned me you weren't ready to come out... why didn't I listen to them?
WOMAN: I bought a Jeep!
MAN: I just got laid off! I'm never going to be able to afford-!
WOMAN: I bought a Jeep!
(MAN begins to weep silently, while WOMAN keeps repeating "I bought a Jeep" over and over. Fade to black, sound of a GUNSHOT is heard).

THE END

But seriously though, what's worse is that Jeep are obviously very happy with this campaign - it's been running since 2011 and they keep making ads exactly like the first. I've studied the ad with a team of scientists and I've come to the conclusion that the message Jeep seems to want to get across is that Jeeps are no longer this uber-expensive car that only the mega rich can afford - anyone can "buy a jeep".

Yet, this message isn't getting across. Just look at the comments on YouTube version of the original ad:

Update: Jeep have made the original copy of the ad "private" since this rant was posted. Clearly, they're worried about all the bad publicity I'm giving them. These comments are from the original, "private", video.

The message that Jeep wants to get across is fine, but the execution is stunningly bad. When I first heard (and, alas, as I continue to hear) "I bought a Jeep", my reaction is, "So what?" However, if the tagline of the ad was "Anyone can buy a Jeep", then it might have been an effective ad. As it stands... it's just annoying.

© 2013 by The Free Man

25 comments:

  1. Please guys your representing something really big .Can do a better job djob.This was just shady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has to be one of the worst ad campaigns I have ever seen. Don't they realise that when everyone expresses surprise and incredulity that the other person has bought a Jeep it can clearly be interpreted as, 'Why the hell did you buy a Jeep?!?! They're so crap.' It is so poorly executed and so freakin' annoying that it has most definitely destroyed any desire I have ever had to buy a Jeep. I'd be too embarrassed to tell anyone that I bought a Jeep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this ad. Could watch it all day. Michael makes me feel I am in a real situation. Best ad on T.V

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, I hope you're being sarcastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are jealous because you don't have a jeep. And Yep, I bought a jeep. I BOUGHT A JEEP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love Michael :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Women love this ad. Michael is expressing surprise at her brilluant choice and is then shown being impressed by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a woman I HATE this ad. The patronising atitude that women are incapable of making a sensible choice regarding cars combined with the irritating ad format. I really hope you were being sarcastic.

      Delete
  8. LOL you are all absolutely right it is an annoying stupid crappy ad campaign put me off ever owning a Jepp. Except was car shopping this weekend not knowing what I wanted, boring boring cars but my 14 year old son spotted this Jeep Cherokee KK Limited edition 08 model, I took one out for a test drive and to my amazement loved it. So yeah "I bought a Jeep"...couldn't go pass it stands out from the crowd and has loads of bling, woo hoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ad is so bad, that I went to google "annoying jeep don't hold back" just to comment how annoying it is. It is annoying. Done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeep sucks!! stop that ad pls!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michael is HOT! Id buy a Jeep if he came with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's also sexist. I posted about it too http://www.bethehustle.com/yes-michael-she-bought-a-jeep/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ads must be doing alright as there's a lot of Jeeps on the road. Shame that the drivers who drive them - speed, tailgate and think they can barge their way through traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so love the more realistic view of what would happen if most of us bought a Jeep. Much more fun than that (ha-ha sew VERY hilarious) smirky,smarmy excuse of an ad campaign. This ad makes me want to (after being temporarily stunned by its crappiness) rush out and punch Michel - Hard, and then after that shake that stupid woman for (a) buying a super expensive, environmentally poor choice of car and (b) hooking up with smirky Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO funny all you sooks go buy a daewoo badged as a HOlden

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely HATE these Jeep ads . I would rather buy a Lemon and have that break down a million times. And then have it become so bad that is catches on fire,explodes, and then kills me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have expressed it so well! I HATE those ads! I will deliberately never buy a jeep because those ads and the whole attitude behind them is so stupid

      Delete
  17. The latest irritating Jeep advertisement on TV is where the driver is talking to is son in response to the question "are we there yet". The driver keeps on calling his son "buddy" and occasionally "mate" ... never a real name ... made up or otherwise!!

    Even though "buddy" seems to have crept into daily usage in Australia ... why not add "cobber" for variety!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. First, having money gives you the right to enter peoples homes through their television and basically harass them.
    There are too many commercials and not just for jeep. To fix this we need laws for commercials so they can only played so many times within a day.
    But since this is a post for jeep yes I cannot stand it. Even more embarrassing is the television station in my community shows a jeep commercial which is a 2012-2013 model. Ridiculous!!! Cheap!! and Repetitive rubbish!!!I We have had to tolerate the same jeep commercial for a few years now every 30mins. I either change the channel (only to see it again sometimes), or turn the TV off all together.
    ( Actually, maybe I should be thanking them for that?? )
    The commercial we have here is the little boy telling his dad he needs a bigger boat..AGGGGGHHHH!!!

    Oh, and Dear Jeep Promoters, I will never, ever buy a jeep because of this, you will never FORCE a product on to me with cheap, ineffective,irritating commercials with kids who just have one line responses which really are pathetic and unrealistic.
    (Yep I am annoyed) Thanks for having this forum, feel better now......

    ReplyDelete
  19. This guy got tricked by the Jeep advertisements and he bought a Jeep 4 years ago... biggest mistake of his life I recon! www.facebook.com/destroymyjeep

    ReplyDelete
  20. The only satisfaction I get is knowing that anyone who fell for this shit and actually went out and BOUGHT a fucking Jeep deserves to own this badly made, badly designed vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Quite possibly my favourite type of person is the one who will get on a blog or YouTube or Facebook or Twitter and swear they will NEVER buy a product because of their ad campaign.
    I'm sure Jeep whose sales increased by around 250% because of this campaign will be devastated that you lot won't be buying a Jeep. Devastated.
    There's a reason the ads have been running since 2011... Because they work.
    So if an ad makes you so angry that you feel the need to get on a blog site to let the other 12 or so maniacs that you too will never buy a product maybe sit back, take a breath and realise that maybe there's something missing in your life.
    You lot are hysterical.
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete